THE OL BATTLE ROYALE BEGINS!
Naoko Tanaka (Mei Nagano) is a 26 year-old office lady – a secretarial and clerical worker in a large Japanese company. Her job at Mitsufuji is reliable, the atmosphere is laid-back, and she has some friendly colleagues, but the fires of war burn brightly beneath the veneer of the office’s calm banality. Cliques of office ladies fight for departmental supremacy like sneering gangsters and posturing delinquents. These warring clans battle daily until a new employee arrives, Ran Hojo (Alice Hirose), armed with the strength and charisma of a manga hero to become the company’s top office lady and unite its competing factions. An unlikely friendship between Naoko and Ran is found, but what will happen to them and their company when powerful OL gangs from other companies arrive to test their honor and resolve? Can Ran, Naoko, and the office ladies of Mitsufuji survive the onslaught?
Director Kazuaki Seki’s debut feature is a hilarious, uproarious, action-packed send-up of workplace pettiness and office territorialism, pitting mild-mannered, pink-collar workers in vicious duels over coffee breaks and alongside photocopiers, all under the oblivious noses of their male superiors. Comedian Bakarhythm’s screenplay riffs on the conventions of Japanese comics with a witty meta-commentary and a furiously paced series of fights. Setting superhero grandeur in an unremarkable context, Office Royale is a hysterically energetic satire and a grandiloquent action spectacle.
Special Edition Contents:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio
- Optional newly translated English subtitles on both films
- Introduction by historian and critic Kim Newman
- Yankees, Yakuza, and Making Copies, interview with director Kazuaki Seki
- Heroic OL Diary, interview with screenwriter Bakarhythm
- One-Punch Lady, interview with actress Mei Nagano
- Ran’s House, interview with actress Alice Hirose
- Press conference interviews with the cast
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Deleted scenes
- Theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian McEwan