The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story.
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story is Michael Winterbottom’s unorthodox adaptation of the unfilmable English literary masterpiece The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, written by Laurence Sterne. Staying true to the manic spirit of the book, the film flips back and forth between the 18th century story and the hapless efforts of the 21st century filmmakers attempting to shoot the classic. Tristram Shandy (Steve Coogan) narrates the filmed story of his life from conception onward, with numerous digressions and unfinished thoughts, while actor Steve Coogan serves his professional ego behind the scenes against the increasing prominence of his co-star, Rob Brydon. Crammed with literary jokes and dark humor, and aided by stellar performances by Jeremy Northam, Stephen Fry, and Gillian Anderson, Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story is a clever, postmodern take on the construction of a film from an intricate, hilariously autobiographical novel.
- New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by cinematographer Marcel Zyskind and approved by director Michael Winterbottom, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- A Womb with a View, a new interview with director Michael Winterbottom and actors Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon
- Audio commentary with Coogan and Brydon
- Helen Weinstein conversation with Winterbottom and producer Andrew Eaton for Historyworks
- Extended interview with Steve Coogan conducted by journalist Tony Wilson
- Deleted and extended scenes
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Premiere footage
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Mark Kermode and cartoonist Martin Rowson