First, a shout out to Cole and Ericca at The Magic Lantern Podcast who shared some love for MMC! in their recent discussion of Little Murders. Cole and Ericca provide a great (and very funny) discussion on the relationship at the centre of Arkin’s film. For the record, I’m with Cole – the wedding sequence stands as the most enjoyable part of the movie and Elliott Gould’s unresponsiveness to the demands of social convention or personal interactions is all too recognizable.
My most recent Criterion connection came by seeing Brazilian singer Seu Jorge perform live his selection of David Bowie covers from Wes Anderson’s The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). Jorge put on an amazing show, providing a variety of entertaining anecdotes on the making of the film, displaying some nimble guitar-work, and filling the theatre with his deep, impressive voice. The trailer for The Life Aquatic prominently features Jorge’s covers, serving as an effective promo of the singer’s currently touring show. Don’t miss it!
SHAKING WITH DESIRE, TREMBLING WITH FEAR
Scream queen, Edwige Fenech (Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key), stars in this violent masterpiece as Julie Wardh, a restless ambassador’s wife caught between her jealous ex-lover, her husband, and her current lover, any one of whom could be a mysterious serial killer viciously murdering women and possibly stalking Julie herself. Written by celebrated screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi (All the Colors of the Dark), Sergio Martino’s first giallo film also stars genre regulars George Hilton (The Killer Must Strike Again), Alberto de Mendoza (The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail), Conchita Airoldi (Torso), and Ivan Rassimov (Shock). This stylishly erotic and sleazily surreal thriller features a mesmerizing score by Nora Orlandi and stands as one of the most celebrated giallo films of all time.
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
- High definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Original Italian and English soundtracks in mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Newly translated subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Brand new interview with Sergio Martino
- Dark Fears Behind the Door, interviews with director Sergio Martino, producer Luciano Martino, writer Ernesto Gastaldi, and stars George Hilton and Edwige Fenech
- Sound Photography, James Gracey on the film’s score and composer Nora Orlandi
- Footage from the Venice Film Festival screening
- Theatrical trailer
- Poster and stills gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring an essay by Michael Mackenzie