The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents A Pure Formality.
After the success of Cinema Paradiso, Giuseppe Tornatore abandoned the sweetly sentimental in a favor of this darkly tense mind-game starring two icons of European cinema. Gérard Depardieu claims to be Onoff, a reclusive writer who is apprehended by local police after he is caught running through the woods during a torrential storm. The author is questioned as a suspect in a murder investigation by the police station’s chief inspector (Roman Polanski) who is unconvinced by Onoff’s semi-amnesiac state. What results is a cat-and-mouse battle of wits that gradually assumes metaphysical consequences, making A Pure Formality an underrated thriller that anticipates the mind-bending films made popular by Hollywood in the years that followed.
- New 4K digital restoration approved by director Giuseppe Tornatore, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary by Tornatore
- Commercials for Dolce & Gabbana
- Extended interview with Tornatore
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: New essays by theological scholar David S. Cunningham and film scholar William Hope