The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Puzzle of a Downfall Child.
Based on his own interviews with troubled fashion model Anne St. Marie, Jerry Schatzberg’s Puzzle of a Downfall Child is an unnervingly intimate, narratively-fragmented portrait of a top fashion model in personal and professional decline. Faye Dunaway, fresh from her star-making role in Bonnie and Clyde, delivers a tour-de-force performance as Lou Andreas Sand, once a celebrated model now shored up in an isolated beach house struggling to maintain her partial grasp on reality. Directly influenced by the European art cinema of Alain Resnais, Ingmar Bergman, and Michelangelo Antonioni and boasting a screenplay by acclaimed screenwriter Carole Eastman and supporting performances by Barry Primus, Roy Scheider, and Viveca Lindfors, Puzzle of a Downfall Child is a visionary film emblematic of the disenfranchised subjects, art-film sensibilities, and young, creative filmmakers that made the New American Cinema.
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Jerry Schatzberg, with uncompressed monoaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interviews with Schatzberg and actor Faye Dunaway
- Alternate opening sequence prepared by the studio
- New interview with playwright Elisabeth Bouchaud
- Fashion of a Downfall Child, scholar Drake Stutesman on the film’s costumes and fashion trends
- Sounds from Across the Ocean, scholar Jay Beck on the film’s sound design
- PLUS: An essay by filmmaker and photographer Bruce LaBruce