Designed for the film lover in mind, SHOUT SELECT shines a light on films that deserve a spot on your shelf. From acknowledged classics to cult favourites to unheralded gems, SHOUT SELECT celebrates the best in filmmaking, giving these movies the love and attention they deserve.
IN BOB WE TRUST.
Written, directed, and starring Tim Robbins, this mockumentary about an upstart celebrity candidate for the United States Senate is a hilariously fearsome prediction of American politics in the 25 years that followed. Conservative folksinger Bob Roberts manipulates media coverage of him while singing about the proliferation of welfare abusers, drug users, and soft-hearted liberals and resisting rumors of corruption and hypocrisy. Bob Roberts captures the false populism and soundbite superficiality of contemporary politics with unnerving prescience.
Tim Robbins assembles an all-star cast with Alan Rickman as Roberts’ shady campaign financier, Giancarlo Esposito as a crusading journalist, Gore Vidal as Robert’s political opponent, and an array of supporting appearances by Jack Black, Susan Sarandon, Ray Wise, James Spader, John Cusack, Helen Hunt, David Strathairn, Fred Ward, Bob Balaban, Peter Gallagher, Lynne Thigpen, Pamela Reed, and Brian Murray.
- Audio Commentary With Director And Star Tim Robbins
- Audio Commentary With Tim Robbins And Gore Vidal
- Audio Commentary With Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair of Counterpunch
- Back On The Campaign Trail – New Interview With Tim Robbins
- Buggin’ Out – New Interview With Giancarlo Esposito
- Getting Started – New Interview with Jack Black
- Original Bob Roberts Short Film Made For Saturday Night Live
- Deleted Scenes
- Photo Gallery
Designed with the film lover in mind, SHOUT SELECT shines a light on films that deserve a spot on your shelf. From acknowledged classics to cult favourites to unheralded gems, SHOUT SELECT celebrates the best in filmmaking, giving these movies the love and attention they deserve.
A TRUE STORY?
Jonathan Demme adapts the stranger-than-fiction life of Melvin Dummar to the big screen, celebrating the fair-weather fortunes of an affable everyman who offers a late-night ride to the world’s richest man, Howard Hughes. Dummar returns to his workaday life, struggling to get ahead with dead-end jobs and game show fantasies until a letter arrives out of the blue naming him as a possible heir to Hughes’ fortune. Being poor was hard, but Dummar discovers in this slice-of-life satire that the prospect of being rich is even harder.
Melvin and Howard is a feel-good story about tough luck starring Paul Le Mat and Jason Robards as Melvin Dummar and Howard Hughes, a pair of scruffy outcasts at opposite ends of the economy. Featuring an Academy Award-winning screenplay by Bo Goldman and supporting performances by Pamela Reed, Michael J. Pollard, Gloria Grahame, Charles Napier, Dabney Coleman, and Mary Steenburgen in an Oscar-winning role as Melvin’s first and second wife, Jonathan Demme’s tale of hard work and easy money is an under-appreciated American classic.
- Audio Commentary With Director Jonathan Demme And Cinematographer Tak Fujimoto
- Being Melvin – An Interview With Actor Paul Le Mat
- Living Lynda – An Interview With Actress Mary Steenburgen
- A Bonnie Situation – An Interview With Actress Pamela Reed
- I Am Melvin – Interview Excerpts With Writer Bo Goldman
- Melvin And The Master – Director Paul Thomas Anderson On Melvin And Howard
- “Melvin And Howards” – An SCTV Parody Sketch
- Theatrical Trailer