The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Moonstruck.
In this award-winning, romantic comedy, Cher stars as Loretta, a widowed bookkeeper in Brooklyn who agrees to marry a mild-mannered man (Danny Aiello) even though she does not love him. Unlucky in love, she promptly falls for his estranged brother (Nicolas Cage), sparking a torrid affair with the moody, young man while her fiancé is absent at his mother’s deathbed. With wonderfully stylized dialogue by playwright John Patrick Shanley and a brilliant ensemble of supporting performances from Olympia Dukakis, Vincent Gardenia, John Mahoney, Julie Bovasso, Louis Guss, and Feodor Chaliapin Jr., Norman Jewison’s Moonstruck is a modern screwball classic and an operatic fable full of moonlit enchantment and the sweet charm of sugar cubes dissolved in champagne.
- New 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interviews with director Norman Jewison, writer John Patrick Shanley, and actors Cher, Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, and Danny Aiello
- Audio Commentary featuring Cher, Norman Jewison, and writer John Patrick Shanley
- A Night at the Opera, musicologist Marcia Citron on opera, La bohème, and Moonstruck
- Remarriage Italian Style, scholar William Day on Moonstruck and the comedy of remarriage
- Moonstruck: At the Heart of an Italian Family, a featurette on the making of the film
- Music of Moonstruck, a featurette on the film’s score
- Trailer and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by scholar Mary Ann McDonald Carolan