The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Neil Young Trunk Show.
Filmed over two nights at the Tower Theater in 2007, Neil Young Trunk Show is director Jonathan Demme’s treatise on guitar rock – loud, electric, uncompromised. His subject, singer-songwriter Neil Young, performs largely rare and recent material with a force and presence undiminished by his nearly 50 year career, still rocking the free world at age 64. Bringing the viewer out of the audience and within the stage show, Trunk Show documents the trust and respect of Demme and Young’s more than 15 year relationship as collaborators and reveals the alchemical details of rock magic summoned through metal guitar strings, long takes, and the idiosyncrasies of Young’s voice. Turn up the volume for this one.
- Digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Declan Quinn and approved by director Jonathan Demme, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Introduction by singer-songwriter Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam
- Demme on Young, Young on Trunk, a new video piece on the making of Neil Young Trunk Show featuring interviews with musician Neil Young and director Jonathan Demme
- Additional performances by Neil Young at the Tower Theater not included in the film
- Gallery of behind-the-scenes and productions photos
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A double-CD set with complete recordings of both performances at the Tower Theater, and a booklet featuring a new essay by music critic and historian Greil Marcus