Designed with the film lover in mind, SHOUT SELECT shines a light on films that deserve a spot on your shelf. From acknowledged classics to cult favourites to unheralded gems, SHOUT SELECT celebrates the best in filmmaking, giving these movies the love and attention they deserve.
A TRUE STORY?
Jonathan Demme adapts the stranger-than-fiction life of Melvin Dummar to the big screen, celebrating the fair-weather fortunes of an affable everyman who offers a late-night ride to the world’s richest man, Howard Hughes. Dummar returns to his workaday life, struggling to get ahead with dead-end jobs and game show fantasies until a letter arrives out of the blue naming him as a possible heir to Hughes’ fortune. Being poor was hard, but Dummar discovers in this slice-of-life satire that the prospect of being rich is even harder.
Melvin and Howard is a feel-good story about tough luck starring Paul Le Mat and Jason Robards as Melvin Dummar and Howard Hughes, a pair of scruffy outcasts at opposite ends of the economy. Featuring an Academy Award-winning screenplay by Bo Goldman and supporting performances by Pamela Reed, Michael J. Pollard, Gloria Grahame, Charles Napier, Dabney Coleman, and Mary Steenburgen in an Oscar-winning role as Melvin’s first and second wife, Jonathan Demme’s tale of hard work and easy money is an under-appreciated American classic.
- Audio Commentary With Director Jonathan Demme And Cinematographer Tak Fujimoto
- Being Melvin – An Interview With Actor Paul Le Mat
- Living Lynda – An Interview With Actress Mary Steenburgen
- A Bonnie Situation – An Interview With Actress Pamela Reed
- I Am Melvin – Interview Excerpts With Writer Bo Goldman
- Melvin And The Master – Director Paul Thomas Anderson On Melvin And Howard
- “Melvin And Howards” – An SCTV Parody Sketch
- Theatrical Trailer
FRANK CROSS AIN’T AFRAID OF NO GHOSTS!
After squaring off against a city full of spooks and specters four years earlier in Ghostbusters, Bill Murray returns in Richard Donner’s Scrooged to face four ghosts intent on abusing the Christmas spirit into him. This side-splitting take-off on “A Christmas Carol” transports Charles Dickens’ tale of holiday bitterness to 1980s New York and the cynical world of network television. Frank Cross (Murray) has made the meteoric rise from the depths of the mail-room to TV network president, and has become a modern-day Scrooge in the process – mean, nasty, uncaring, unforgiving. But on the night of the network’s live Christmas Eve special, Cross will be visited by a maniacal cab driver from the past, a sweetly sadistic fairy from the present, and a towering messenger from the future.
A cult favorite of Christmas counter-programming (until its sing-a-long climax), Scrooged boasts a hilarious starring performance by Bill Murray and an all-star supporting cast that includes Karen Allen, Bobcat Goldthwait, Alfre Woodard, John Forsythe, Robert Mitchum, Carol Kane, David Johansen, John Houseman, Buddy Hackett, Robert Goulet, and Lee Majors. Yule love it!
- New High Definition digital transfer
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Dolby Surround options
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with director Richard Donner
- Bill Murray’s message from the ShoWest exhibitors convention
- Five new featurettes – “A Christmas to Remember,” “Updating Ebenezer,” “Bringing Ghosts to Life,” “The Look of Scrooged,” and the two-part “On the Set with Bill Murray”
- “Put A Little Love in Your Heart” music video featuring Annie Lennox and Al Green
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters