The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman’s Return.
Ryoko is Japan’s hardest working female tax inspector, a ruthlessly diligent investigator whose only match is Gondo, a “love hotel” owner and master tax evader. Against a backdrop of stake-outs, searches, and a spectacular raid, this taxing woman and her clever prey test their respective skills of detection and deception, stirring their mutual sexual attraction. Nobuko Miyamoto and Tsutomu Yamazaki give performances in the best tradition of romantic farce, resulting in a hit film for director Jûzô Itami and a darker, edgier sequel, A Taxing Woman’s Returns, that pits the title character against a religious cult leader and a complex conspiracy involving gangsters, politicians, and a prestigious construction project.
- New 2K digital restorations, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Introduction with Nobuko Miyamoto, star of the films and wife of filmmaker Jûzô Itami
- Masayuki Suo’s 108 and 110 minute documentaries on the making of A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman’s Return
- New interview with Jake Adelstein on the films, the Japanese yakuza, and Japan’s National Tax Agency
- Theatrical trailers and teasers
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum