The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of classic important and contemporary films presents American Movie.
Menomonee Falls may be a long way from Hollywood, but quick-talking filmmaker Mark Borchardt has a cinematic dream and he aims to finance his magnum opus, Northwestern, through a direct-to-market, no-budget horror short titled Coven. Filmmakers Chris Smith and Sarah Price filmed Borchardt and his team of hometown thespians and semi-willing family members through two years of financial crisis and emotional turmoil. The result was a bizarrely heartfelt and hilariously poignant documentary that became the award-winning hit of the 1999 Sundance Film Festival and a uniquely arresting portrait of Midwestern eccentricity, determination and character.
- Restored 2K digital transfer approved by filmmakers Chris Smith and Sarah Price, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary with filmmakers Smith and Price, star Borchardt, and co-star Mike Schank
- Coven, the short film of Borchardt
- New interview with filmmakers Smith and Price
- New interview with documentary subjects Borchardt and Schank
- Twenty-two deleted scenes
- All five appearances by Borchardt on Late Show with David Letterman
- NFL commercial starring Borchardt and Schank
- Mark and Mike, a zerotv.com series featuring Borchardt and Schank
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: An essay by filmmaker Ti West