WHERE, WHERE, WHERE DOES HE COME FROM, THE GOLDEN BAT?
The strange alien menace Nazo has set the planetoid Icarus on a collision course with the Earth! Only Doctor Yamatone (Sonny Chiba, The Street Fighter) and his team at the Pearl Research Institute can prevent humanity’s obliteration by destroying Icarus with their Super Destruction Beam Cannon, but they can’t defeat Nazo and his henchmen alone. Thankfully they have the sworn protection of the Golden Bat, a skull-faced superhero awoken from a 10,000 year-long sleep. With his Baton of Justice, Golden Bat laughs in the face of danger and leaps where others fear to tread, ready to save mankind from its extraterrestrial threat!
Originally created in 1931 by writer Ichiro Suzuki and illustrator Takeo Nagamatsu, Golden Bat is transported to the Space Age in this low-budget, science fiction masterpiece from Toei. Director Hajime Sato (Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell) fills the screen with alien bad-guys, super-science laboratories, buzzing laser beams, and plenty of cool ’60s gadgetry. This early example of tokusatsu entertainment and Toei’s prominent superhero productions is sure to please kids and adults alike!
- New high definition digital transfer
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard DVD Presentation
- Uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Newly translated English subtitles
- New interview with actor Sonny Chiba
- Golden Bat, the First Superhero, a video essay by Eric P. Nash on the origins of Golden Bat
- Reversible sleeve with original and commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Japanese film scholar Chris D., illustrated with historical artwork of Golden Bat