The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents A Midnight Clear.
Six inexperienced American soldiers are assigned to make camp at an abandoned château in the Ardennes forest in December 1944. Their assignment is to monitor German activity in the area and provide early notice of an expected Nazi push through the region, but a troop of weary German soldiers hoping to surrender and survive the war causes the young Americans to reassess their assignment with tragic results. Adapting William Wharton’s novel, Keith Gordon’s A Midnight Clear is a literate, anti-war fable and an unrecognized achievement in 1990s cinema, boasting a stellar cast including Ethan Hawke, Gary Sinise and Peter Berg.
- New, restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Keith Gordon, with DTS-HD Master Audio surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by Gordon and actor Ethan Hawke
- A Winter’s War, Gordon’s 50 minute documentary on the making of A Midnight Clear
- New interviews with actors Ethan Hawke, Gary Sinise, Peter Berg, Keving Dillon, Arye Gross, Frank Whaley and John C. McGinley
- Deleted scenes with optional commentary
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum