The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Matinee.
John Goodman is at his uproarious best as the gregarious creator of sci-fi thrillers, circa 1962, who brings his unique brand of showmanship to the unsuspecting residents of Key West, Florida. Fifteen year-old horror fan Gene Loomis (Simon Fenton) can’t wait for the arrival of filmmaker Lawrence Woolsey (Goodman), who is in town to première his latest offering of atomic power gone berserk, Mant! But the absurd vision of Woolsey’s tale takes on a sudden urgency as the Cuban missile crisis places the real threat of atomic horror just 90 miles of the coast. With the help of Gene and his high-school friends, along with Woolsey’s leading lady, Ruth (Cathy Moriarty), the master showman gives Key West a première they’ll never forget.
- New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Joe Dante, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary with Joe Dante
- Mant!, the uncut, full-length version of Matinee‘s film within a film
- Keep Your Eyes Open for the Scary Parts, new interviews with cast and crew, including John Goodman, Cathy Moriarty, Simon Fenton, Omri Katz, Kellie Martin, Lisa Jakub, Jesse Lee Soffer, Dick Miller, John Sayles, Robert Picardo, and Mark McCracken
- The Making of Mant!, Joe Dante and Mark McCracken on the costumes and effects of Mant!
- Who’s That Girl?, a new interview with Naomi Watts on her arrival to Hollywood and her role in Matinee‘s The Shook-Up Shopping Cart
- The Trouble with Woolsey, Joe Dante on the music of Matinee and his collaboration with composer Jerry Goldsmith
- Extended scenes and deleted content from Dante’s personal archives
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum