The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Random Harvest.
From the best-selling novel by James Hilton, author of Goodbye, Mr. Chips and Lost Horizon, comes one of Hollywood’s most sentimental romances and one of 1942’s biggest hits. Ronald Colman stars as Charles Rainier, an amnesiac World War I veteran who falls in love with beautiful music hall performer Paula Ridgeway (Greer Garson) until a sudden accident restores the man’s true identity while erasing from his mind his relationship with Paula. Charles returns to his privileged life to become a successful industrialist but struggles with an unshakeable longing, all while Paula secretly suffers posing as the businessman’s executive assistant. A box-office triumph honored with seven Academy Awards nominations, Random Harvest is a first class melodrama featuring two of the era’s most distinguished performers.
- New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation between filmmaker Guy Maddin and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum
- Interview with Greer Garson by TVO’s Elwy Yost from 1985
- TCM Tribute to Greer Garson, a short feature on the actress narrated by Keith Carradine
- Lux Radio Theater adaptation from 1944 starring Colman and Garson
- Hallmark Playhouse radio adaption from 1949 starring Joan Fontaine
- Partners and Some of the Best, two short promotional films by MGM featuring Random Harvest
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholar Glenn Erickson and Garson biographer Michael Troyan; a new paperback edition of James Hilton’s hit novel