“He said he was going to cut off his finger if I didn’t make his film.” – producer Menahem Golan.
“Terrific. Completely original from beginning to end.” – Roger Ebert, SISKEL & EBERT.
American poet and novelist extraordinaire Charles Bukowski drew upon his own life to script this story that tickles and jabs the social underbelly of booze, bars and brave madness. Downtrodden writer Henry (Mickey Rourke) and distressed goddess Wanda (Faye Dunaway) may be wedded to their bar stools, but they like each other’s company and that says a lot, but when a young publisher smitten with Henry’s outsider mystique appears, Henry must choose between life as a literary lion or a freewheeling alley cat. Barbet Schroeder directs this “classic one-of-a-kind comedy” (Vincent Canby, The New York Times), offering a giddy, whisky-soaked vision of life on the skids and the proud individuals who refuse society’s demands.
- Audio commentary with director Barbet Schroeder
- A new interview with Schroeder, producer Tom Luddy, and former Cannon Films co-owner Yoram Globus
- “I Drink, I Gamble, I Write …”, a featurette on writer Charles Bukowski and the making of Barfly
- The Charles Bukowski Tapes, Schroeder’s 240-minute assembly of interviews with Bukowski
- Bukowski, Taylor Hackford’s 60-minute documentary for PBS
- Theatrical trailer
- 32-page booklet featuring Barbet Schroeder’s article “Bukowski: The Legend and the Misunderstandings” written for Playboy magazine, Roger Ebert’s 1987 account of visiting Barfly‘s set, and Charles Bukowski’s “letter from a fan” in support of the film
Golden Horn Edition – Package Includes:
- Barfly on Blu-ray or Standard DVD booklet featuring over 6 hours of bonus material!
- DRM-free Digital Download of the film on 1080p, 720p, and mobile/tablet formats
- 27″ x 40″ reversible poster
- Charles Bukowski’s novel Hollywood, inspired by the making of Barfly