The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents Straight Time.
In this highly underrated classic of ’70s crime cinema, Dustin Hoffman shrewdly stars as Max Dembo, an ex-con just released from a six-year stretch in prison for armed robbery and struggling to go straight while under the oversight of his smug parole officer. Despite finding a job, a home, and even a girl of his own, Max remains trapped in an unrelenting criminal system until he breaks free with ruthless, criminal abandon and tragic consequences. Adapted from Edward Bunker’s No Beast So Fierce, featuring a score by David Shire, and boasting a terrific supporting cast including Theresa Russell, Harry Dean Stanton, Gary Busey, M. Emmet Walsh, and Kathy Bates, Ulu Grosbard’s Straight Time is a lean and bitter portrait of inevitable recidivism.
- New 4K digital master with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary from 2007 with director Ulu Grospard and actor Dustin Hoffman
- New interviews with actors Hoffman, Theresa Russell, and Kathy Bates
- Straight Time: He Wrote It For Criminals, a 1978 documentary on writer Edward Bunker and the making of the film
- Theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by novelist Jonathan Lethem