The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents The Devils.
Banned, censored, and suppressed for years, the director’s cut of Ken Russell’s infamous masterpiece depicts the rise and fall of 17th century French priest Urbain Grandier, tried and executed for a series of possessions in Loudon, France. Masterful performances by Oliver Reed as Grandier and Vanessa Redgrave as Sister Jeanne, Urbain’s hunchbacked nemesis, are matched by Russell’s audacious direction and contributions by Derek Jarman, David Watkin, and Sir Peter Maxwell Davies. Mixing political and religious commentary with transgressive, cinematic spectacle, The Devils is proudly presented here, for the first time for home viewing, as Russell originally intended, restored with previously cut footage and uncompromised by past controversies.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and film critic Richard Crouse
- New audio commentary featuring film critic Mark Kermode and editor Mike Bradsell
- Hell on Earth: The Desecration and Resurrection of The Devils, Paul Joyce’s hour-long, 2002 documentary made for TV and presented by Mark Kermode
- New interviews with actresses Vanessa Redgrave and Gemma Jones and actors Murray Melvin and Dudley Sutton on the filming of The Devils
- New interview with composer Sir Peter Maxwell Davies on the music of The Devils
- Video appreciations by David Cronenberg, Alex Cox, Guillermo del Toro, Terry Gilliam, John Landis, Joe Dante, Lloyd Kaufman, and Mitch Davis
- Excerpts from Saskia Baron’s 1995 made-for-TV documentary, Empire of the Censors
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring selected reviews from The Devils‘ release and a new essay by Russell biographer Joseph Lanza