The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?
On the Santa Monica Pier, in the shabby La Monica Ballroom, a bizarre Depression-era fad unfolds – the dance marathon. A worn out collection of hopefuls (Jane Fonda, Michael Sarrazin, Susannah York, Bonnie Bedelia, Red Buttons, and Bruce Dern) compete in hopes that a Hollywood casting agent spots them or that they at least win the contest’s $1,500 cash prize. But the competition is a grueling public spectacle, lasting thousands of hours and taking weeks to proceed, leaving dignity and salvation farther and farther away. Based on Horace McCoy’s brutally poetic novel and featuring stand-out performances including Gig Young’s award-winning role as the marathon’s huckstering emcee, Sydney Pollack’s seminal film puts a cap on 1960s idealism and paints a bleak portrait of the American Dream that still resonates today.
- New 2K digital transfer, presented with uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by director and producer Sydney Pollack
- Audio commentary with Jane Fonda, producer Irwin Winkler, former president of ABC Pictures and talent agent Martin Baum, Bonnie Bedelia, Michael Sarrazin, Red Buttons, and legendary hair stylist Sydney Guilaroff
- New interviews with actors Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern, and Bonnie Bedelia
- New interview with film critic Kim Morgan
- New interview with filmmaker Sarah Gertrude Shapiro discussing They Shoot Horses and introducing her 2013 short film Sequin Raze
- Original featurette on the making of the film
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Scott MacDonald, composer John Green’s musical continuity notes, Pollack’s forward to the screenplay, and notes, pictures, and diagrams taken from Pollack’s shooting script; a new paperback edition of McCoy’s original novel
The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents The ‘Burbs.
Tom Hanks is Ray Peterson, a family man whose plan for a peaceful vacation at his suburban home on Mayfield Place is soon complicated when he and the other residents of the cul-de-sac observe strange happenings at the home of Ray’s new next-door neighbors, The Klopeks. Much to the disappointment of his wife Carol (Carrie Fisher), Ray and his buddies become convinced that a missing neighbor has fallen victim to the sinister Klopeks and, armed with assault rifles, high-powered binoculars, and shovels, they decide to see for themselves what terrors lurk just over Ray’s fence. A stand-out, tongue-in-cheek horror-comedy, The ‘Burbs is modern cult classic that assembles a superb cast, including Bruce Dern, Henry Gibson, Rick Ducommun, Brother Theodore, and Corey Feldman, and presents Joe Dante’s most savage of lands – suburbia!
- New, restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Joe Dante, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary with filmmaker Joe Dante
- Back on the Block, new interviews with cast and crew, including Tom Hanks, Joe Dante, Carrie Fisher, Bruce Dern, Rick Ducommun, Corey Feldman, Wendy Schaal, Nicky Katt, Courtney Gains, and Dick Miller
- A new video piece by Dennis Cozzalio on The ‘Burbs‘s opening sequence
- From Colonial Street to Mayfield Place, Joe Dante on the Universal Studios back lot and its famous homes
- Scoring Suburbia, Joe Dante on composer Jerry Goldsmith and scoring The ‘Burbs
- Stand-up Tragedy, a retrospective on New York theatre icon Brother Theodore
- Rick Ducommun: Piece of Mind, Rick Ducommun’s 1989 HBO comedy special
- Alternate ending
- Extended scenes and deleted content previously believed lost
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by director Ti West