The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films presents David Byrne’s American Utopia.
Deeply reflective and exceptionally high-spirited, David Byrne’s theatrical concert American Utopia stormed Broadway with the ex-Talking Head’s mix of iconic music and quirky ideas. With a collection of eleven talented musicians, singers, and dancers supporting him and informed by the work of James Baldwin, Janelle Monáe, Hugo Ball, and Kurt Schwitters, the show plucked at the connections between us and aimed to start making sense of it all. With director Spike Lee commemorating the show for the screen, David Byrne’s American Utopia transforms the stage production into an immersive, dynamic cinema experience that radiates with astounding performances, inventive contemporary dance, and political urgency. A clarion call for protest, compassion, and shared responsibility and a new masterpiece among concert films, David Byrne’s American Utopia is the life-affirming rock-doc arriving at precisely the right time, ready to burn down the house.
- 4K digital master, approved by director Spike Lee and David Byrne, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio Soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Start Making Sense, a roundtable conversation with Lee, Byrne, musician Janelle Monáe, and critic Ashley Clark
- One Fine Day, a new program of interviews with Lee, Byrne, and the film’s cast of performers
- Slippery People, a conversation between choreographer Annie-B Parson and cinematographer Ellen Kuras
- Remain in Light, an exploration of American Utopia stage design and its innovative lighting
- Promotional discussions featuring Lee and Byrne
- Meet the Band, introductory videos for the cast and crew
- Additional performance of “Hell You Talmbout”
- Trailer and teaser
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Robert Daniels