These last ten films I’ve screened leans heavily on the We Are One online film festival. Adele Hasn’t Had Her Dinner Yet (a wacky Czech comedy featuring a famous American detective and a carnivorous plant), Tremble All You Want (a quirk-heavy Japanese rom-com about a neurotically shy young woman), and Epic of Everest (a silent document of the tragic 1924 Mount Everest expedition) were all very good, however Ulrike Ottinger’s Ticket of No Return woozily stands atop the digital heap. Subtitled “Portrait of a Female Drunkard,” Ottinger’s film offers an intoxicatingly experimental and oddly hilarious tale of a woman who travels to Berlin with plans to binge-drink out her final days. It shouldn’t be surprising to see Ticket of No Return make another appearance on MMC!
- Blood Machines (Seth Ickerman, 2019)
- The Telephone Book (Nelson Lyon, 1971)
- Onward (Dan Scanlon, 2020)
- Adele Hasn’t Had Her Dinner Yet (Oldrich Lipský, 1978)
- Tremble All You Want (Akiko Ohku, 2017)
- The Epic of Everest (J.B.L. Noel, 1924)
- Ticket of No Return (Ulrike Ottinger, 1979)
- The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003)
- Promare (Hiroyuki Imaishi, 2019)
- The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo (Shinya Tsukamoto, 1987)
The remainder of these last ten films I’ve watched were enjoyable films that speak to very specific interests. Do you like cringing (A LOT)? Watch The Forest for the Trees! Do you miss your subscription to Metal Hurlant? Blood Machines is for you! Are you a fan of Criterion’s William Klein and Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse sets? Check out The Telephone Book! Do you like cyborgs, vampires, time travel, and a DIY spirit? The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo is your jam! Want to level up from Hiroyuki Imaishi’s Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and Sex & Violence with Machspeed? Try on the neon-coloured epilepsy test that is Promare!
(And for the record, I quite enjoyed Onward but felt that it really missed an opportunity to provide a relatable perspective on metalheads and feature a Pixar-friendly metal soundtrack. Still lots of fun.)