MMC! is now free from the task of catching up with the films of 2019 and it’s once again all about finding great movies, no matter their release date. Hospital and The Blue Sky Maiden stand out as the best watches of these last ten films, but attention must be given to the unlikely double bill of Ken Russell’s Women in Love and Jake Szymanski’s Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates as they are essentially the same film: two men, two women, strained romance, a sister getting married, an unhappy father, two men fighting, nudity, jealousy, an unappreciated dance performance, a woman among a herd of animals, an outing in a mountainous landscape, Jurassic Park, coal mines, ATVs. It’s all there.
- The Wind (Victor Sjöström, 1928)
- Tora-san, the Good Samaritan (Yoji Yamada, 1971)
- My Breakfast with Blassie (Johnny Legend, 1983)
- The Blue Sky Maiden (Yasuzo Masumura, 1957)
- The Dog Who Stopped the War (André Melançon, 1984)
- The Club (Bruce Beresford, 1980)
- Women in Love (Ken Russell, 1969)
- Enamorada (Emilio Fernández, 1946)
- Hospital (Frederick Wiseman, 1970)
- Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (Jake Szymanski, 2016)
And, yes, MMC! is watching Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Rebecca Chaiklin and Eric Goode, 2020) but is too busy watching episodes of The Almost Impossible Gameshow on Amazon Prime to finish it. We’ll get there yet.