This latest list of the last ten films I’ve watched kicks off with a movie recommended to me by the TIFF Cinematheque Recommendation Engine. Sandra was recommended for me along with Rashomon, Seven Samurai, In a Lonely Place, and To Live and Die in LA. I’d say that the TIFF Engine knew me pretty well but Visconti’s film is certainly the least of these five titles and probably would have not been remarkable but for Claudia Cardinale’s starring role. My hunt for a Visconti film to fall in love with continues!
- Sandra (Luchino Visconti, 1965)
- Design Canada (Greg Durrell, 2018)
- Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
- Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, 2018)
- Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
- Shanty Tramp (Joseph G. Prieto, 1967)
- Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)
- Save the Tiger (John G. Avildsen, 1973)
- The Cat o’ Nine Tails (Dario Argento, 1971)
- David Lynch: The Art Life (Jon Nguyen, Rick Barnes, and Olivi Neergaard-Holm, 2016)
Those looking for sneaky fun titles should check out Design Canada and Shanty Tramp. The former is a conventionally congratulatory but thoroughly charming take on the golden age of Canadian design, while the latter is a byNWR hicksploitation title that crazily mashes up white trash hussies, hep cat biker gangs, legit racism, moonshiners, gangsters, and plenty of cheap deaths. I can’t really decide what that titular tramp is worse at: dancing or stabbing!