MMC! is madly trying to get through 2015’s favourite films in an effort to (eventually) produce a “Best of” list, so the last 10 films I’ve watched skews very contemporary. Does anyone even care about a Best of 2015 that comes out in March or April?!?
- Room (Lenny Abrahamson, 2015)
- My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)
- Yakuza Apocalypse (Takashi Miike, 2015)
- Creed (Ryan Coogler, 2015)
- The Revenant (Alejandro Gonzáles Iñárritu, 2015)
- Let It Be (Michael Lindsay-Hogg, 1970)
- Goodnight Mommy (Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala, 2014)
- The Look of Silence (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2014)
- Deathgasm (Jason Lei Howden, 2015)
- Dope (Rick Famuyiwa, 2015)
This is a pretty good list of films, with Room, Yakuza Apocalypse, Goodnight Mommy, and Dope all likely to have spots in a Top 20 of 2016. The Look of Silence and possibly Creed also have fair chances of making it on that list, but not The Revenant which felt like the frozen leftovers of Terrence Malick. Our apologies to Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant‘s cinematographer, who has shot many of MMC!‘s favourite films of the last 25 years including Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006).